6.11.2014

The Beauty of Having Old and Ghetto Things


the beauty of having old things

I was at a big box store the other day drooling over the big screen LED high definition flat screens just thinking of the monstrosity of a TV we have back home. Ours is a GIANT tube television from the early 00's with handles on the sides (yes handles) and no plugs for HDMI cables or anything fancy like that. We have been dying to trade it in for a brand new flat screen for a while now but we just haven't taken that plunge yet. It's just hard for us cheapos to justify spending all that money on a new TV when our current one still works perfectly, even if it is slightly ghetto... and when I say slightly I mean extremely...

Actually there are a lot of older, semi-decrepit things in our possession that we have been wanting to trade out for a while now and this really got me thinking as to why we haven't done it yet. There are of course the obvious reasons such as money, time, ambition, etc, etc, etc... but there are also many other less obvious reasons for us putting off the updating of our possessions. Since Joe's job requires us to move so often it's nice not having to worry about things getting dinged, scratched or broken by the movers because everything is so dinged up as it is what's one more scratch added to the mix? It's also great not having to worry about the movers stealing any of our stuff (which unfortunately does happen all to frequently) because honestly we don't even want some of it ourselves. Another great reason to have older things is that we don't have to worry as much about break-ins. One look at our television through our window by a potential thief would be enough for them to turn around and run the other direction screaming.

Someday we will break down and replace what needs to be, I mean we are slowly doing it now piece by piece, but as for today I will enjoy my ridiculously large, ghetto television set and the no strings attached feeling I get from it. And who knows, maybe in the next move the movers will steal it and actually do us a favor.

9 comments:

  1. LOL - I am like you. Old and Ghetto! Our tube TV's were free from friends who up graded to flat screens. You would think as much TV as we watch we would bite the bullet but we haven't. Speaking of old and ghetto with dogs, cats, and a construction working hubby I cringe at the thought of a new couch being brought into my home. The only new stuff I spring for are kitchen items and of course clothing.
    Great Blog!!
    xo, Lee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I know what you are talking about with the pets! Mine shredded the bottom of our couch as a puppy.

      Delete
  2. Your comment about the movers actually stealing it and doing you guys a favor had me laughing! Thanks for sharing.

    -Rosy A Joyful Kind of Life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy you liked it, now I only hope they actually will...

      Delete
  3. my parents have that!! but i think they replaced it.. i am not so sure. bring back memories lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully they unlike us have upgraded in the last decade.

      Delete
  4. We used to have a small box t.v. in our living room lol. One day we were at Sears though and they had a huge deal on T.V.'s and ended up replacing it with a pretty nice flat screen at a good cost! I get nervous when buying new things though, hoping I'm spending my money wisely.

    P.S. Still totally in love with your new blog design!

    Just A Girl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm the same way with getting nervous, I get super protective.

      And I'm happy you like the new design! It took me forever but I am quite proud of it :)

      Delete
  5. We are just like you. We have a huge clunky TV. And it still works fine and dandy so whats the point. haha And lets not even talk about our microwave...Or our can opener...

    Love Always,
    Elizabeth
    thejourneycreatingme.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete